In Part 2, I simply briefly describe my attempts to acquire information from the various entities – organisations, government departments and individuals – responsible for oversight with respect to the 1993 interception of Postal Packets and telecommunications messages Act and the 2009 Criminal Justice (Surveillance) Act.
I sought their opinions on certain matters in order to inform my findings on the subject of accountability and the chain of command and oversight with respect to state sponsored surveillance programmes in the Republic of Ireland.
In July 2014, after issuing multiple unanswered requests under The Freedom of Information Act 1997 (FOI) as amended by the Freedom of Information (Amendment) Act 2003 I then proceeded to send information packets by registered post to multiple organisations, government departments and individuals.
The packets contained detailed background information on the reasons for my questions and a detailed articulation of each of the questions I was seeking answers to / opinions on (including their views on why they thought that I had not received the requested information via the FOI process) :
- Mr. Michael Noonan TD, Minister for Finance, Department of Finance, Government Buildings, Upper Merrion Street, Dublin2
- Ms. Frances Fitzgerald TD, Minister for Justice & Equality, Department of Justice, Government Buildings, Upper Merrion Street, dublin 2
- Ms. Claire Loftus, Director of Public Prosecutions, The Office of the Director of public Prosecutions, Infirmary Road, Dublin 2
- Ms. Nóirín O’Sullivan, Garda Commissioner, Office of the Garda Commissioner, Garda HQ, Phoenix Park, Dublin 8
- Citizens Information Board, Ground Floor, George’s Quay House, 43 Townsend St, Dublin 2
- Blanchardstown / D15 Citizens Information Centre, Westend House, Snugborough Rd, Blanchardstown, Co. Dublin
- Office of the Revenue Commissioners, The Revenue Solicitors Office, Ship Street Gate, Dublin Castle, Dublin 2
- Ms.Marie-Claire Maney, Revenue Solicitor, The Revenue Solicitors Office, Ship Street Gate, Dublin Castle, Dublin 2
- Ms.Josephine Feehily, Chairman, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Castle Yard, Dublin Castle, Dublin 2
- Mr.Michael Gladney, Collector General, Sarsfield House, Francis Street, Limerick
- Principal Officer, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Dublin Region, investigations District, BlockD, Ashtowngate, Navan Road, Dublin 15
- Principal Officer, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Dublin Region, South County District, Plaza Complex, Belgard Road, Tallaght, Dublin 24
- Principal Officer, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Investigations & Prosecutions Unit, Castle View, 52-57 South Great George’s St, Dublin 2
- Principal Officer, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Customs Criminal Investigations, 5th Floor, block D, Ashtowngate, Navan Road, Dublin 15
- Principal Officer,, Office of the Revenue Commissioners, Customs Enforcement Unit, M:TEKII Building, Armagh Road, Monaghan, Co.Monaghan
- The Hon. Mrs. Justice Ms. Susan Denham, Chief Justice of supreme court of Ireland, Four Courts, Inns Quay, Dublin 7
- The Hon. Mr. Justice Mr. Nicholas Kearns, President of the High Court, Four Courts, Inns Quay, Dublin 7
- Simon O’Brien, Commissioner, Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission, 150 Upper Abbey Street, Dublin 1
- The Office of the Ombudsman
- The Office of Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission
That is all.